The project facts
The story so far
The Scottish Seabird Centre is a conservation and education charity dedicated to inspiring people to care for wildlife and their natural heritage.
We currently have live wildlife cameras, interactive exhibitions, education programmes, science events and guided boat trips.
It is vital that all attractions and charities evolve to meet their objectives.
We have undertaken extensive research and consultation – from this we prepared plans to enhance the Centre and what we offer. We want to deliver an innovative and exciting project that will build on over 17 years’ experience, transforming the Seabird Centre into a marine centre.
Through the delivery of new exhibitions, activities and education programmes, we aim to inform and excite people of all ages about life above and below the waves, including seabirds.
North Berwick will offer a hub for marine science. With content created by some of the UK’s leading marine experts, we plan to share what is often hidden and inaccessible, presenting cutting-edge research and, importantly, how we can work together to help conserve this valuable resource for future generations.
Click HERE for more information on the exhibition plans.
Our proposals include:
• Education Centre ‘Learning Lab’: new education space to accommodate school and community groups
• New education programme: based on marine science for primary and secondary schools
• Outreach programme: online resources and visits to schools
• Exciting, interactive and changing exhibitions: an immersive exploration of the marine world
• New events programme including ‘meet the scientist’ lectures, conservation training, workshops and art activities
• Volunteering, work experience and internship programme: providing a variety of opportunities for all ages